Best backpack / rucksack for hiking photographers

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
TheBlackGrouse
TheBlackGrouse Senior Member • Posts: 3,091
Re: Best backpack / rucksack for hiking photographers

Just like to add something to the thread.

The OP is of course right that a Pressure Panel makes your back sweat and when it's hot your clothes get soaked. When using a pack with a Tensioned  Mesh Panel you don't have this problem as it allows back ventilation. And for some this panel eliminates pain.

Since I'm living in a sea climate with at most 10-15 days a year with a temperature above 30 degrees Celsius, I can live with a Pressure Panel. However, these few hot days are terrible and I have to put an extra layer on my back to protect the pack.

The big advantage of a Pressure Panel is that it keeps the gear as close to your body as possible. It saves a lot of energy because the weight won't pull you backwards.

Besides, it improves balance. For me, when hiking in the mountains that's extremely important. Maybe it's because I'm a flatlander that I'm too careful in the mountains 

And I have no choice when I choose for freedom of movement, needed for wildlife photography. Skiing and mountaineering packs make this possible and they are all glued to your back.

As always, it's a trade-off. Soaked clothes, better weight distribution and balance, vs constant ventilation and less back pain.

Something to consider when choosing a pack.

-- hide signature --

TheBlackGrouse
Active Outdoor Photographer

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow