Olympus versus Panasonic f/2.8 standard zoom observations

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
DLGW Senior Member • Posts: 1,240
I mix and match. The zoom direction being different is annoying but...

.. I can deal with it as I'm rarely shooting something where speed and reaction time is paramount.

I am brand agnostic when it comes to gear that works.  I've got the Olympus 12-40 for a 'standard' lens (2 of them, one for me, one for my wife),  In both cases, I got a deal on the 12-40 at the time I got them.  I do like the bit more zoom, I don't mind the bit of extra weight.

I've also got both the Oly 40-150 f2.8 and the Panny 35-100 f2.8.  Despite looking similar in spec, in use they are very different lenses.  The Panny lacks the reach, but it's half the size and weight! I've also got both the Panny 100-300 (Mk 2) and the Panny 100-400.  The 100-300 Mk 2 I purchased as it's also weather sealed - which is important to me.

The 100-400 I purchased as it's the only option in that category of lens really.  The Oly 300 prime isn't flexible enough for me and is too expensive (for me).

DLGW's gear list:DLGW's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 8mm 1:3.5 Fisheye Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow