D700 VS D610 VS Fuji S5 highlight and burned image test.

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Andreascy
Andreascy Contributing Member • Posts: 713
D700 VS D610 VS Fuji S5 highlight and burned image test.

Hello. i wanted to share with you a small test i did using my d700 , d610 and fuji s5.

First i want to say that i own the 3 cameras and i love them all. each camera have its advantages. Nikon D610 is my new addition a newer camera with very good sensor- high iso etc. D700 is a legendary camera with an amazing body and the Fuji S5 pro with a unique Fujifilm CCD sensor with amazing colors and powerful highlight recovery.

Knowing how good is the Fuji in highlight recovery i wanted to compare it with my new addition The d610. I was curious to see The difference between the 2 cameras and how much close the d700 would be.

The lens used for this test is the nikon 50mm f1.8. Using the Fuji i had to step up because of the Apsc sensor.

I used a Tripod, 10 sec Timer, and manual Mode. I set the cameras to the lower iso possible, D700 iso 100, D610 iso 200 and Fuji s5 iso 100.

I used F8 Aperture and i took 2 shots . one shot with 1/20 shutter speed and the other shot with 1/2. I understand that 1/2 was extreme condition but i was was curious to try it and to see how much i can recover from each camera.

For post processing i used photoshop camera raw using only basic tools , like exposure , shadows, highlights , whites . blacks . I used a bit different processing in each image because my purpose was to make the final image to look best in my eyes but using only the basic tools.

The next 2  images are d700   OOC  Jpeg images. Is just an example how the images from 3 cameras looks in OOC.  First picture obviously is taken by 1/20 and the next 1/2 - and is completely burned.

Next are the result after post processing the images that was completely burned.

I didnt expect much from the cameras as image was completely burned, but we can see clearly how much information Fuji can recover. Honestly i am amazed by this camera .

Next are the images shot with 1/20.

After viewing all these it seems that Fuji S5 its a king in high light recovery

Andreascy's gear list:Andreascy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D700 Nikon D610 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +6 more
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D610 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow