New firmware for 16-80mm

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
John356 Regular Member • Posts: 162
Will hold off purchase....

Having worked in (and been accountable for) the somewhat fraught activity of new product introduction think Fuji really dropped the ball on the first iteration of this lens - as people on this forum have shown some fairly basic testing would have revealed its deficiencies. Yes consumer electronics must be a real pressure cooker to work in but they made it all the worse by the initial and now apparently removed (at least on the EU site) “lens can absorb any vibration from a mechanical shutter” statement - this aim must have been in the initial product spec and subsequent engineering targets but not throughly tested.

Am interested in the lens as it would be a significant weight saving with increased range when traveling over my 16-55 f2.8. This said I am still chary about the apparent fix at V1.02 - as some say they may eventually bring out a version with enhanced hardware - Fuji did bring out an OIS II version of the XC16-50 and 50-230 - wonder what the residual value of the initial versions is. I will leave purchase for a few months.

John

John356's gear list:John356's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow