RX10 IV - Lock-on AF:Expand Flexible Spot drops into Lock-on Wide

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
User6927265519 Regular Member • Posts: 140
RX10 IV - Lock-on AF:Expand Flexible Spot drops into Lock-on Wide

Lock-on AF Expand Flex not working as I would have expected it to

Maybe this is just a misunderstanding on my part or may even be my particular sample has a fault or s/w bug but at the moment it’s just an observation on my part so any comment or suggestions as to what is happening would be much appreciated.

Judging by the AF icon in the viewfinder it appears that lock-on Af expanded flex-spot is initiated only momentarily (at least on my sample) during initial acquisition, once AF is locked on the icon changes to lock-on AF wide for the rest of the time it is tracking the object until the shutter button is released, is this correct behaviour?

For Example using the following setup:

Focus Mode - Continuous AF Drive Mode - Continuous Shooting-Lo or Single Shot Focus Area - Lock-on AF:Expand Flexible Spot Metering Mode - Multi or Center Pre AF - Off

-If I press the Control Wheel up to cycle through to Display All Info, the Focus area displays the Lock-on AF:Expand Flexible Spot icon,

-When you half press the shutter button and focus is achieved the focus area icon then immediately changes to the Lock-on AF:Wide icon until the shutter button is released.

I wonder if anyone else noticed this behaviour and if so does it mean that the Lock-on AF:Expand Flexible Spot algorithm is only active until focus is achieved at which point the Lock-on AF:wide algorithm takes over from then on?

The reason I noticed this was that for the short time I used this camera I never really felt that the Lock-on AF:Expand Flexible Spot mode was working for me particularly with more difficult situations such as low flying birds against trees etc, this is very different behaviour to the A77 M2 where I often find Lock-on AF:Expand Flexible Spot is significantly better than Lock-on AF:wide mode in this particular situation.

User6927265519's gear list:User6927265519's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a77 II +3 more
Sony a77 II Sony RX10 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow