My M50 has new Godox wireless flash buddies!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Casey Cheung Senior Member • Posts: 1,420
Re: My M50 has new Godox wireless flash buddies!

Alexis wrote:

Thanks for your insight.

As I explained earlier I already have my own RT ecosystem but mine is based on the Phottix Odin technology - very similar if a little bit more expensive than Godox - in their defense, the Odin user interface appears a little slicker than the Godox equivalent.

All I want is a small but fast flashgun that will sit on top of my M50 - the 430EXIII-RT fits the bill for it's size and speed and the fact that it's an RT flash does NOT tie me in to the expensive Canon RT ecosystem because I will trigger using the Odin RT triggers (from dedicated trigger unit or trigger-capable flashgun - the Mitros+), JUST like your Godox equivalent.

Cost-wise of course it makes sense to look at the 685 but the darn thing is almost as big as my very capable Canon 580EXII; in any case I have invested too much money on the Odin technology to sell it all and switch over. I was however concerned by the assist light issue that you mentioned on the 430EX. The external power and optical trigger are not deal-breakers for me.

I would buy the refurbed flash you showed me in an earlier link in a heartbeat; as I am not based in the USA I cannot buy it; maybe I'll get someone state-side to buy and ship it - still cheaper than buying it over here (I am based in Cyprus).

You're welcome! I agree, you should stick with whatever wireless ecosystem that you have that you like and works for you. No use spending money on something else. There is nothing special about Godox, other than it's relatively inexpensive and decent quality for the money spent. I would spend an extra few dollars more just to have printed documentation that makes sense and is easy to figure out. The Godox manual is outright garbage.

If you are able to get your hands on a display model of the Canon 430 RT flash, you should see if you're able to get the auto focus assist beam to work in low light on top of your M50 camera. I was thoroughly frustrated by this for over an hour and gave up. Maybe I read the instruction manual wrong. By the way, the Canon instruction manual on the AF assist beam is quite confusing and keeps referring back and forth between different pages. I suppose you can simply turn on the focus assist light on the M50 camera if all else fails. In the United States, the Canon flash is currently on sale for $249.00 ($50 discount).

Cyprus sounds...............far away LOL!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
kli
kli
MAC
MAC
MAC
kli
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow