My M50 has new Godox wireless flash buddies!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Casey Cheung Senior Member • Posts: 1,416
Re: My M50 has new Godox wireless flash buddies!

Alexis wrote:

I have reasonable recycling with my 580exii and Phottix Mitros+ at the moment.

I am looking at something smaller to mount on my m50 - I think I have persuaded myself to buy the 430EXiii-RT - it's the right size and specification I think...

I really liked the Canon 430EXIIIRT flash for the short time I had it. I didn't find anything wrong with it. Actually, I take that back, I did find 2 items wrong with it, but it could have been due to my not understanding the functions. For the life of me, I was not able to set the flash on OPTICAL slave mode whereby the M50 pop-up flash would trigger the 430 flash. I went over the manual thoroughly and watched multiple Youtube videos, but wasn't able to do it. Again, this is for optical slave triggering, not for radio slave. Even the sales rep at the pro camera store couldn't figure it out. Apparently there is a difference between the older 430 flash versus the newer model, so maybe it's possible on the older model but not the new one. The other problem was I couldn't figure out how to enable the auto focus assist beam on the 430 flash when shooting in low light. I read all the applicable pages on the manual many times but couldn't do it. Maybe it's just not possible when the 430 flash is on top of the M50 camera? Don't know. I do know I spent over 2 hours of my life to no avail with those 2 "issues". The other minor (or maybe not so minor) point is that the Canon 430 flash does not have any port that would allow for external battery fast charging. Don't know if that's an issue for you. Even my inexpensive Godox 685 flash has a port for faster recycle time from an external battery. Lastly, if you go down the Canon road by investing more and more into Canon flashes, this *might* limit your ability to go other routes. That's why I wanted to give up my Canon flash quickly knowing I wanted to go the Godox route for its wireless flash ecosystem. A huge reason for my decision is that I know for certain I wanted the Godox AD200Pro flash. That thing is a monster for putting out 200 watts of portable and rechargeable flash power and the ability to add light modifiers using the Bowen speedring mount. Essentially, that means I can easily setup studio lighting pretty much anywhere outside. With my X2T remote transmitter on top of my M50 hotshoe, I can now simultaneously trigger the AD200 flash as the key light (with softbox attached on top of lightstand) plus the 685 flash as a fill light. I'm tempted to buy a second 685 flash for only $100 so I can remotely trigger the extra flash for extra creative lighting. For the price of one Canon 430 flash (between $250 to $300), I can buy 2 Godox 685 flashes plus a Godox X2T remote trigger. So that's almost an economic no-brainer.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
kli
kli
MAC
MAC
MAC
kli
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow