10-24mm vs a 12mm/14mm and a 23mm prime

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mtbcarl New Member • Posts: 14
10-24mm vs a 12mm/14mm and a 23mm prime

I've been shooting with some rad vintage primes on my XT1 for a while now and am loving it, but its time to pony up and spend some cash on some modern glass. I bring my camera on mountain bike rides to shoot landscapes and nature stuff.

I think I want an ultrawide and a 23mm to have focal lengths to stand out from the hoards of cell phone (~28mm FF equiv,) and kit lens photos.

I like the 10-24 because it is an all in one solution, albeit a bit $pendy and heavy compared to primes. I can imagine it being more or less permanently bolted to my camera. Seems a bit big tho.

I like the Rokinon 12mm or XF 14MM 2.8 as wide primes for their lower cost, small size and low weight, which is importaint for taking gear on long bike rides. As an allrounder AF lens, I like the XF23mm F2 WR.

Having those two separate primes would also potentially save me a few hundred dollars over the 10-24mm.

Relevant Backstory - I primarily bring my camera on long mountain bike rides into the foothills and mountains around Boise Idaho, shooting the beautiful landscapes, trails, and environmental portraits of the trails and fellow bike riders, with the occasional action shot thrown in. For years, I did all that using a phone camera, and was perfectly happy, but I got an XT1 because people have been asking for prints and I'm wanting to step up my photo game.

I'm keeping my wonderful Rokkor 58mm for still portraits and short tele shots, and throwing in my Rokkor 135mm for long tele shots.

TL;DR - what are the biggest pros and cons of having the larger 10-24mm VERSUS the smaller lighter cheaper 23mm F2 WR and the 14mm or Rokinon/Samyang 12mm?

Thanks for your input!

Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow