$1,000 USD budget for new camera: nature, travel, sports photography

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ScottSeg New Member • Posts: 11
$1,000 USD budget for new camera: nature, travel, sports photography

Hello kind and helpful photographers!

I'll do my best to keep this succinct and on-point. I have a $1,000 USD budget to upgrade from my Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 that was sadly stolen from my car. The FZ1000 helped uncover my love of nature and sports photography as a hobby and I would like to upgrade to a mirrorless or DSLR as I really learn the craft.

The camera will primarily be used for nature photography; and in particular, owls. My wife and I do work in the environmental sector so we do hike and packpack; my Lumix did okay in Death Valley and Zion, for example.

The camera will also see significant secondary use for travel. We travel internationally about every 3 years and around the US in the interim years. We are heading to Greece in June 2020 to spend a few days on a small boat which is prompting making this purchase now.

The camera will see a small amount of sports photography. I'm a baseball fan and like to travel to spring training to snap amateur action photos. No interest in a major lens and capturing high-speed action crystal clear; just looking for an upgrade from maxing out my Lumix's zoom and shutter speed for acceptable amateur photos.

My budget is for camera body and lens in total, and I'm happy to spend up to the $1,000 max. It is possible for me to save up for an additional lens or upgrade in the future, but this is a hobby so I could never see spending $1,500 on a lens down the road, if that helps shape your advice.

Thank you very much for any recommendations! I am very much feeling overwhelmed and undereducated!

Panasonic FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow