Olympus versus Panasonic f/2.8 standard zoom observations

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 33,370
Re: Olympus versus Panasonic f/2.8 standard zoom observations

alcelc wrote:

More close to the wide end most of the time stop down will be needed. Specially if any object in the foreground...

The following is a snapshot (SOOC jpg) taken by 12-35 f/2.8 @24mm wide open on GX7. The focus was on the center (around middle row of roses). Please note that the pink / white roses in the front row (just off center, not on the edge yet) were very soft. DoF should not be the cause (shooting distance around 300cm, M43 @f/2.8 should look sharp 40cm in front of and 55cm behind the focus plane).

That result is exactly what I would expect from my 12-40/2.8 at 24/2.8 which is  why my default good light MySet on my Mode dial has a setting of f/5.6 which in general handles something like that well.

More megapixels closely examined lessens the apparent depth of field. The standard for creating depth of field charts is what is expected from the average human eye when viewing an 8x10 inch print from 12 inches.

Regards..... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow