Best backpack / rucksack for hiking photographers

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 6,387
Re: Best backpack / rucksack for hiking photographers

Thank you SO much for this.

We see the question about packs here over and over and over, and while some photographers define "hiking" as walking from the car to the hotel, most would still benefit from a pack that is a good hiking pack first and foremost. I've owned oodles of packs in my life, from old canvas MIllet's and Kelty frame packs to the newer Deuters. Never ever ever have I had a problem stowing camera gear in and on them.

But "camera" packs? ugh. Lowe and Mountainsmith make skiing and climbing packs, so their stuff tends to be OK, but even then some of the compromises they make can be less than useful. Like zippers and access: any access means not only can you get stuff out easier but stuff can get in easier. If I need my camera accessible, it's hanging on me already. If I can climb and ski and get access to gear inside in truly horrible conditions on bad stances, surely it's not too tough for someone to open a pack to get a camera to shoot a picture of a meadow.

So again, thanks! This is the sort of thing DPR should feature on it's landing page.

-- hide signature --

“Art is not what you see, but what you make others see.”
— Edgar Degas

robgendreau's gear list:robgendreau's gear list
Pentax K-1 II Pentax FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow