Am. Bittern, Dragonflies in flight; Migratory Birds are Here (11/12)

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 31,898
Am. Bittern, Dragonflies in flight; Migratory Birds are Here (11/12)

Back to the wildlife stuff again - I had closed to within a month back now, and don't want to fall too far back again, especially as the busy winter season here is almost upon us and that's when the wildlife shooting really picks up!  The following shots were taken at the local grounds, Green Cay Wetlands, on October 19th, with the A6300 and FE100-400mm combo.

All shots posted at 1400 pixels on the long side if you click the originals:

A ruby-throated hummingbird sitting pretty and taking a rest on a nearby branch.  This is probably only 30 feet away, but with a bird this incredibly tiny, it's a heavy crop even at 600mm equivalent

We have had a pretty decent migration through this fall - lots of the little guys all through the forests, feeding up for the travels farther south.  This young or female American redstart was running all around this pine tree looking for bugs to eat

The young wood ducks were still hanging around - the male is really starting to get his proper colors  coming in under his juvenile browns

Here he is with his sister, who is beginning to get the female face colors with the white eye ring.  Despite being so grown and the parents having left, these two siblings were sticking together for a while

I know - a brown bird...how exciting!  Eventually, this will be a black bird, but for now, the juvenile grackle has the more muted colors similar to the female adults - the black streaks around the eye and head hint that it's a juvie

A female common yellowthroat, down where they usually are - flitting through the reeds right at the waterline - and difficult to catch in the open!

A lovely little female painted bunting - as usual, in heavy shade and requiring high ISO to get them (ISO 6,400).  Background noise cleaned up in Topaz Denoise

Another American redstart - this one a juvenile male, working on getting to his black with orange adult coat - but still more yellowy and grey

A female anhinga working on drying herself off in the sun atop a low tree, with some backlit wetlands for some glow

Fall in Florida is a good time for DIF practice - dragonflies in flight.  They're everywhere - and fun to try panning and tracking their erratic flight.  This is an eastern pondhawk, probably our most common in the wetlands at least

Moving away from me - I guess he got camera shy!

The tiny little pied-billed grebe, having a bath in the distant open waters

One more pondhawk DIF - he made a pretty close pass and I gave it a go to pan with him at 400mm.  I love the position of the legs/landing gear, tucked up under the body when in flight

One of our winter ducks - a female blue-winged teal, sitting quietly in a high-key style setting of cloud-reflected water

Yes!  The big bitterns are back!  This was my first sighting of the American bittern, usually here during winter - this one was flying by off in the distance and landed deep in the reeds where I couldn't get to him.  But no problem...there are more of them to come!

Comments, questions, and critique welcomed as always!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +22 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow