Olympus versus Panasonic f/2.8 standard zoom observations

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
cba_melbourne Senior Member • Posts: 1,485
Re: Olympus versus Panasonic f/2.8 standard zoom observations

Guy Parsons wrote:

Samuel Dilworth wrote:

Guy Parsons wrote:

Yup, I own a big mix of lenses and used them regularly and it wasn't until somebody on the forums complained about this "reverse zoom feature" that I realised that my Oly and Pana lenses did just that. But I never noticed and it never bothered me until I was told here that it was a problem.

Do you put up with initially zooming in the wrong direction often, or do you quickly adjust to whatever lens is on the camera?

Probably a bit of both, I never actually stop to think about it.

You may consider both of these scenarios fine, but the first may be a problem to another photographer with moving subjects.

For me a moving subject may mostly involve street type scenes while on holidays and fast moving changes of little scenes or passers-by that could be interesting. Again if I start to zoom the wrong way it is immediately obvious so I reverse. Never a problem.

With manual focus lenses in the film days, I used to turn the barrel either way quickly back and forth until nailing the perfect focus. It never occurred to me to think which way is "near" and which is "far".

That is the same way how I handle the zoom setting. I turn either way until nailing the best framing. It never occurs to me which way is zooming "in" or "out". It is irrelevant to me.

But I can see that other people have other ways to handle it. They seem to memorize rotating clockwise (as seen from the back of the lens  ) is zooming out.

There is no right or wrong way, it's an individual habit. My method has the advantage that it makes no difference, if I use an Olympus or a Panasonic zoom. The other method has the advantage to be a fraction of a second faster (as long as one does not mix lens makers .

cba_melbourne's gear list:cba_melbourne's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow