Sadhu in Varanasi images - 56/1.2 & 35/1.4

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
yrc4 Forum Member • Posts: 64
Re: How do you get permission?

Justin9999 wrote:

I wish I could talk with about how you go about getting permission to take pictures. I travel to Asia about 3 times a year, and I’m always too anxious to actually ask for someone’s picture. I’m an Engineer and I have the stereotypical poor social skills that come with the territory.

At any rate, I hope you are somebody’s mentor.

If its any consolation, I am of Indian origin and struggle to talk to people before taking their pictures...language is not a barrier in most parts of South Asia for me.  However, introvertedness and shyness are a challenge.  The only thing I can suggest is that you have to try and try and once you do it often enough it will get easier.  It does make a difference in some types of street/documentary photography to communicate with your subjects.  In other cases--i.e., looking to capture the decisive moment--you can of course remain quiet and just observe and wait for the right moment.   In most cases, you will be noticed and the best thing to do is to at least try to interact with the people you are photographing.

yrc4's gear list:yrc4's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow