A7R4 Focus Need Help Please !

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Guy Churchward
Guy Churchward Regular Member • Posts: 410
A7R4 Focus Need Help Please !

I have no issue with my 16-34, my 24-70 and my 100-400 when extended and short focus.

i have a real issue trying to get a pin sharp picture of small birds in a shady spot in the garden when fully extended (either with 1.4x or without).. becoming pretty frustrating.

i have tried every permutation to get a good crisp shot and every permutation leads me to another disappointing picture.

setup

A7R4

Sony 100-400

1.4x Extender (on and off)

I have tried A mode, S mode, P mode and Auto

I moved it from AF-C to single image

I moved it from tracking (someone mentioned that as an issue) to center and also fleet spot small to make it simple.

I am shooting in Jpeg extra fine.. I did try Raw uncompressed  and had the same issue

I have tried with the e-shutter off and same problem

i did try silent on and same problem

so again, these pics are super basic... Auto mode, 25ft away, bird not moving, center spot, single image capture and they are still crappy..

It can’t be the lens as I can take bees and hummingbirds tack sharp.. this is just when I am fully extended so long range and long focus if that makes sense

I have also planted myself on an upturned bucket with a monopod and had the same issue.

i have sent some images to Sony to see if they have suggestions... I have watched a handful of videos, read the manual a few times and tried everything anyone has said on these forums..

so at this point I am stumped... is this as good as I can expect, is there something obvious I am missing or do I need the camera to go in for a service call as I am out of the returns periods of BHPhoto ?

I wouldn’t really mind if this is jut not something that the camera could do as it’s a real edge case but it’s mighty frustrating as I can’t imagine it’s that much of a tricky shot !

Here’s the URL for the sample images OOC and not adjusted in any way

https://flickr.com/photos/53752985@N00/sets/72157711727879751

in case you think I might be a rank amateur (you are correct), but I have managed to snag a few nice shots in my defense with this combo in different scenarios

https://flickr.com/photos/53752985@N00/sets/72157710876857026

anyhow, I really am trying to learn  and understand if this is a limitation in the camera or me or an issue I have to address so looking for some constructive feedback

Thanks in advance !

Guy

.... pics below are uploaded in OOC actual size (~30mb) but keep reducing for some reason so assume DpReview site is having a fit which is why I have uploaded actual to Flickr for evaluation on the 1st link above...

Guy Churchward's gear list:Guy Churchward's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony a7R IV Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
Lan
MOD Labe
MOD Labe
MOD Labe
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow