Topaz Legacy v Topaz AI

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Brev00
OP Brev00 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,976
Re: Topaz Legacy v Topaz AI

RobBurke wrote:

The changes are confusing, but perhaps not as bad as you think.

Firstly, both Studio 1 and Studio 2 can be called as plugins. Sure there is an extra step in Studio to select your filter, but that is offset by the convenience of being able to combine filters.

Secondly, it is Studio 1 not 2 that has Pro options. You should have got Pro Precision Detail (in Studio 1) for free, because of your earlier purchase of stand-alone Detail.

I think you should also have been offered Studio 2 at a discount because of your earlier purchase(s). (I can’t say how much, because I had most of the earlier filters, and got it for free.) Studio 2 includes versions of almost all the former Pro non-AI filters for everyone, including Precision Detail and Precision Contrast (my favourite). So they are still supported, but not in the way we were used to. For me Studio was an improvement because access from Lightroom is better than before.

I just wish that Topaz were more committed to developing Studio 2 than they appear to be.

Thanks for the heads up! I have been using Studio although I do have Studio 2 loaded as both a plug-in and a stand-alone. Topaz Studio comes up in my filter list right below Topaz Labs (my legacy filter collection). But Studio 2 comes up in the long list of filters when I click on Studio. So, I forgot all about it! And it does have Detail and Clarity.  No Adjust or BW Effects. I love the tone presets!  I guess you can recreate BW Effects using the separate tools.

I do have full functionality even though I got it as a free upgrade to Studio which did not have full functionality.

I saw a list of coming upgrades so it doesn't look like Topaz has abandoned it. One of the upgrades is a histogram. The lack of one is a major reason I did not use Studio and probably dismissed Studio 2 the time or two I tried it. Guess I did not examine its full range of features closely.  Topaz will add cropping and straightening and other basic tools. Studio 2, when it gets the upgrades, looks like a useable program. Not as devoted so strictly to 'artistic' renderings as Studio appeared to me to be.

This is very encouraging. Good to see that Detail and Clarity are still present in the Topaz universe.

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow