Olympus versus Panasonic f/2.8 standard zoom observations

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Samuel Dilworth
OP Samuel Dilworth Regular Member • Posts: 468
Re: Olympus versus Panasonic f/2.8 standard zoom observations

Michael Meissner wrote:

Samuel Dilworth wrote:

Now, sadly the Olympus lens had a security tether while the Panasonic was loose. That may have affected my impressions because it interfered with holding the lens (why do companies hamper themselves like this at shows?). All the same …

I dunno, maybe Olympus lenses are more desirable and people are more likely to steal them.

Ha. Thieves keen on close focus, perhaps.

Albert Valentino wrote:

I believe the Olympus zoom focuses closer/better mag (0.3x vs 0.17x). Very useful for flower or food shots. Same with the Olympus 40-150 Pro vs Panasonic 35-100 F/2.8. I am a big fan of close focus lenses so this is an important feature for me.

I’m also a big fan of close-focus lenses. All the more so if they’re not only focused but optically good at that distance.

Is the 12–40 mm good enough to be a macro replacement within its range of focus distance?

And is there much difference in close-up performance between the 12–40 mm and 12–35 mm, around the Panasonic’s minimum-focus distance?

Careful testing seems pretty hard to find online for many Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow