Tamron 17-28mm user experience

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP SimonOL Senior Member • Posts: 1,862
Re: Tamron 17-28mm user experience

randomguy wrote:

Bought a Tamron 17-28mm. Was not happy with corner performance and it was slightly decentered or tilted. So I tried the Sigma which turned out to be a stellar performer, sharp corner to corner wide open at all focal lenghts. Best UW zoom I've ever had by clear margin.

The Tamron wins in most aspects in my opinion: size, weight, cost, the ability to use filters and autofocus performance. But Sigma wins on IQ and in my copies the difference was quite clear and big enough that I went with the Sigma and returned the Tamron. For me the zoom range on the Sigma also fits better in my kit.

This is the dilemma. I like the size, weight, cost etc of the Tamron and f2.8 is useful...

but I tend to keep lenses for some time and don't want to end up wishing I'd bought something else.

I'm thinking that the Tamron makes more sense for my use. It's small, light and inconspicuous enough to take almost anywhere, 17mm is wide enough and I wouldn't have to buy any filters specifically for it. I think these attributes are enough for me to compromise a little in terms of IQ. I suspect if I bought the Sigma it might spend more time on a shelf once the 14mm perspective novelty had worn off!

SimonOL's gear list:SimonOL's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7R II +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow