On the water (sailing) comparison..14-140 or 14-150

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tomhongkong Veteran Member • Posts: 3,874
On the water (sailing) comparison..14-140 or 14-150

I have been wanting to try out the Panny 14-140ii (WR version) against the Oly 14-150ii ever since it was announced, as the 14-140 has a rather better reputation for IQ.

My land based tests bore this out, and the Panny was definitely sharper, especially in the corners so last week took both lenses to a regatta for a shoot out.  I won't bore you with too many shots, but here are two pairs of similar situations for anyone who is interested

14-140

14-150

14-140

14-150

If anything I felt that the 14-150 was a little quicker and positive in acquiring focus (C-AF)

In addition, the WR of the 14-150 is a known capability for me, mine has got really soaked from time to time by rogue waves.

All were taken on my old EM1.1, I did not have time to get my newly acquired EM1.ii set up properly to be sure I got decent shots.  EXIF should be visible.

All are reduced for printing (sorry) but not too much and are representative of how I use my images.

Another reason for not using the EM1.ii is that I have not found a decent half case which will allow me to change battery without taking it off.  The Gariz case is too expensive.  Any ideas?  I don't want to get scratches on the bottom of my new toy!

A 12-100 is still tempting me! However it is bigger and shorter (although last week out of about 1000 shots, only about 20 were at 140/150)

Any thoughts?

tom

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow