Tamron 17-28mm user experience

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP SimonOL Senior Member • Posts: 1,858
Re: Tamron 17-28mm user experience

AdamT wrote:

I had a Sony 16-35 F4 in 2015 and found it suprisingly good at 16mm wideopen across the frame (especially given how bad the 24-70 F4 was) and used ones can be had for quite a bit less than the Tamron .. if the Tamron ultra wide was the same price as the 28-75 then it`d be a different matter but at the price it is (UK) , I`d not even consider it .

I can find the Sony 16-35 f4 cheaper brand new than the Tamron lens! It's mostly that f4 max aperture which I think could be restrictive...

I`m likely to go the prime route, the new 18mm Samyang is well under half the price of the Tamron , is wide enough for most things that don`t need ludicrously wide like a 12mm or so , is also F2.8 , compact and I never found the "long" end of ultra wide zooms to be up to much anyway, even expensive canon and nikon ones ..... otherwise I`d get another used Sony 16-35 F4

I use prime lenses 99% of the time but at the wide end find myself wanting more versatility. I've looked into the Samyang 18mm - it does look good and it's so small but I think a zoom would suit me better.

Thanks for the suggestions

SimonOL's gear list:SimonOL's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7R II +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow