Is it safe to buy the a7rIV now?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Joe Tam Senior Member • Posts: 1,172
Is it safe to buy the a7rIV now?

Hi,

I've heard some reported issues with a7riv af tracking. I am planning a trip soon and want to buy the camera this week.

I like Sony gear but am a little hesitant to buy the a7riv after buying the 35mm 1.4 Zeiss/Sony. I spent a lot of money on the Zeiss 35/1.4 and I have noticed recently it is having some af issues with a9.

I have not tested for decentering but the eyes never seem to be in focus with this lens using eye tracking. My other lenses are tack sharp. I have heard people sending the decentered 35/1.4 to Sony and Sony saying it is within spec.

I do not want to have to have similar issues with a7riv focus issues on my trip with no possibility of exchange or have Sony ultimately declare it is within spec. I have 2 A9 so this camera will mostly be for specific photos on my trip.

Joe Tam's gear list:Joe Tam's gear list
Nikon D5 Sony a9 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II +9 more
Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow