Z6 locking up in the cold

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Raider73 New Member • Posts: 23
Z6 locking up in the cold

So yesterday I was out shooting with my Z6 and my Pen F. During the middle of the day with the temps around 45F my Z6 was working fine. Later on ,as evening approached , I drove up to the top of a mountain, where the temps dropped to the upper 20s to the low 30s. Both my cameras had been sitting near the heater vent in the car. I took both cameras out and took a few pics. Probably 5min into shooting the Z6 started to display the focus peaking highlights even though I wasn't turning the focus ring and the camera was in auto focus mode. I overlooked it at first and kept shooting and a few minutes later the shutter started sounding a bit weird. A few seconds later the lens stopped reporting the F-stop and then I couldn't take any more photos. The camera was not frozen as I could still browse the menus, it just wouldn't take a picture when I pressed the shutter button.

Thinking my camera had failed I set in back in the car, and finished shooting with my Pen-F. I stayed out a good while longer and the Pen never once gave me a problem. After I was done I went back and took the Z6 out and it came on and everything worked fine. Within 3min, though, it stopped displaying the F-Stop, and the focus peaking highlights came back. A few seconds later and it stopped taking photos. So I got back in the car, put the camera in front of the heater and almost immediately it started working again. Got back out and a few seconds later it would not take anymore pics. I repeated this 2 or 3 more times and as soon as the camera cooled off it would stop working.

So today after sitting in the house for a while and everything was warm I turned it back on and it still wouldn't display the F-stop. After maybe a minute the F-stop came back and its working fine again. Took several photos and didn't notice any issues anymore.

So I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. ~30F is really not super cold for electronic devices and my Pen-F had no problems at all and it got much colder than the Z6. Is something wrong with my camera?

Nikon Z6 Olympus PEN-F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow