It's official : CFexpress is the future

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
T O Shooter Forum Pro • Posts: 10,304
Re: It's official : CFexpress is the future

TOF guy wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

\I dislike the small size of SD as well.

Same here

CF is my favorite, no issues.

Keeping my fingers crossed : same here. But there are too many stories of bent pins to ignore, and that's not a cheap repair. And no nobody tried

toss them out car windows, run over them, put them in the oven,

and yet their cards failed

Incidentally the way I avoid any chance of bent pin is by using the camera as a card reader and connecting it straight to the computer to transfer images, i.e. the card never leave its slot. Contrary to the internet myth that method of transferring images is very reliable.

so for the cost savings,

While I agree that they are expensive, there is something to be said about a card format that is reliable. That money buys you piece of mind.

The cards have been expensive because of Sony's near monopoly on XQD (the prices went up big time when Lexar stopped selling them) and because they are a niche market. Prices are bound to go down as the competition heats up and as more camera manufacturers adopt them. How much was a CF card when the format was first introduced? I forgot but if I were to make a guess I'd say even more expensive than an XQD card taking inflation into account.

Yes with any luck multiple suppliers will drive the price down.  I found a big difference using the CFs out of camera by using a quality card reader rather than the dinky one I had first.  Just seems to glide right in, and knowing that some fellows (many fellows?) had issues, I don't rush at it.

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------
He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he’s wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he’s right. - Bob Dylan

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow