Tamron 17-28mm user experience

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SimonOL Senior Member • Posts: 1,813
Tamron 17-28mm user experience

I'm planning on buying an UWA zoom for my A7Rii and have almost decided to get the Tamron 17-28mm f2.8. According to numerous reviews, the image quality seems pretty decent, the 2.8 aperture would be useful and the ability to use standard screw-on filters is appealing as is the reasonable cost relative to other UWA zooms.

I've noticed a few comments that suggest that AF may not be entirely reliable, distortion is quite pronounced and coma at the edges of the frame can be an issue for astro photography which I'd like to try one day. Are these things that you've experienced issues with.

I'm also attracted to the new Sigma 14-24mm 2.8 which seems to provide slightly better IQ but I don't think I regularly need to go that wide so not sure if the downsides - additional cost, larger size and weight and inability to easily use front-mounted filters - would outweigh the benefits for me.

Does anyone have first hand experience using both lenses? Which one would you buy?

SimonOL's gear list:SimonOL's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7R II +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow