Whats the appeal of manual focusing?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
thedullchannel New Member • Posts: 13
Whats the appeal of manual focusing?

I recently read a few threads about people enjoying manual focusing. Sure if you want to use old lenses there is no other way. I can see a use for macro as well. But why would anyone not use autofocus otherwise?

I tried the different focusing aids like digital split image, focus peaking and focus zoom. But I can't realiably determine the correct focus on the EVF.  I wear glasses so my viewing distance is a bit further away. Using the back display makes holding the camera and using the focus ring a bit cumbersome.

On the other hand using autofocus is simple, fast and reliable. I can spend more time composing the image instead of straining my eye on an EVF to see if the small image is sharp.

I do not want to hate on anyone at all...I am really curious because a few people described their joy in using manual focus lenses. Maybe I am missing out on something.

I would be happy if some of you could tell me what is so appealing about manual focus. Maybe even throw in some pointers (I am using the X100F at the moment). Who knows...maybe there is something I have not thought about and I might enjoy it as well.

Fujifilm X100F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jrk
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow