Non-CPU lens setting IBIS quirk

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ken Strain Regular Member • Posts: 457
Non-CPU lens setting IBIS quirk

Having set up a few non-CPU lenses on my Z6, I observed that, when changing lenses and switching to a new non-CPU register with shorter focal length the relevant coefficient in the IBIS algorithm does not seem to update, immediately at least.

This is judged by using 1:1 or 1:2 magnification, and moving the camera a little - the liveview is jumpy - over correcting if the new focal length is shorter. If I switch off and on the camera, the stabilisation appears to work in the expected way - the magnified image is essentially locked in place unless the camera is moved a lot.

I first noticed this going from a 135mm lens to a 21mm lens, where the effect is extreme.

It's no trouble to flick the camera off and on, and I mention this only in case it affects someone who does not use magnification to check manual focus.

If the camera is going to be switched off while changing lenses, it is therefore more convenient to set the new non-CPU lens first.

This quirk existed before and after the Z6 firmware update.  I noticed this months ago, but almost never visit here any more. I was reminded today while using 35mm and 15mm M-mount lenses.

Ken

Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow