Gimbal compatibility for X-T3

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Protea Junior Member • Posts: 31
Gimbal compatibility for X-T3

I’m interested to know what gimbals people are using on Fuji cameras for filming, particularly the X-T3, and how well do they work?

I had been waiting for the next line of Sony’s APSC mirrorless cameras (A6600) to come out with the capability of 4K 60p, and might have even considered the step up to the A7 series if it also delivered this.

When this didn't happen I started to find out more about the X-T3, which actually seems to lead the way with video across its competitors, and also matches up well enough in the stills department.

What I found surprising though is that it doesn’t benefit from full integration with gimbal manufacturers. At the very least I was hoping to have start/stop recording to be controlled from the gimbal. As I’m doing short bursts of recording for sports I’m concerned that this will be too awkward to do via the button on the camera each time and will impact on the fluid use of the gimbal.

The Ronin SC seems to be a good option for smaller mirrorless cameras and I have read that there is supposedly a new cable that was recently released to increase compatibility for Fuji cameras, but I’ve not been able to confirm whether it definitely delivers better integration for the X-T3.
Another recently introduced gimbal is the Zhiyun Weebill S which has some great possibilities with underslung modes, but again it only seems to be able to balance with the X-T3 and nothing more than that.

It seems such a pity that while the X-T3 has top notch video, there is a lack of support for it with other products, and particularly with gimbals. To some degree the broad product support is why I was considering buying into the Sony line in the first place, so I feel a bit anxious that I’m going to hit some dead-end situations with Fuji.

Interested to know if others have overcome the limitations of gimbals on their Fuji cameras.

Thanks

Fujifilm X-T3 Sony a6600 Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow