What do you use alongside your Z?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bridgehouse Regular Member • Posts: 305
What do you use alongside your Z?

I know this might not seem totally Z related, but I value the opinions of those of you who have invested in the Z mount like me.

The Z7 has been a camera that has got me back into the hobby as strongly as I’ve ever been in the past - I’m a film shooter as well, and I’m shooting as much with the Z7 as I do with film nowadays..

I’ve had a lot of digital cameras in the last 20 years, and for the first time I feel I have one which ticks enough of the boxes to really invest in a system heavily.

However, there’s one area where the Z7 doesn’t fit the bill entirely - and that’s the pocketable carry about camera.

As a film shooter, I’ve got a whole range of cameras I take out and about with me for casual shots - the most used is an old Olympus XA2.

The Z7 gets used for organised days out shooting, portraits, landscapes, a bit of Astro, digitising film, and pretty much any time I’m going out with the intention of spending the day shooting. It’s done museums aplenty, motorsport shooting and all sorts in between.

However, it’s not a camera for slipping in a jacket pocket and casually carrying around for snaps. I’d like a digital so I don’t have to necessarily take a film camera out with me for this purpose.

My criteria:

- Cheap (I want to spend my cash on Z lenses!)

- Fits in a jacket pocket

- Large sensor - at least m43 (not keen on 1” as I tried an RX100 and didn’t like the output)

- Must have a viewfinder/EVF - I just can’t do the whole peering at a screen - I’ve used film compacts for too long..

- New or used, don’t care as long as it’s good quality

- Fixed or interchangeable lens - if it’s an ILC there needs to be a good pancake option to keep the size down

- Reasonable ergonomics - the Z has spoilt me tbh as I love the Nikon way of doing things

What are you guys using as a small compact lightweight cheap travel and pocketable companion to your Z’s?

Bridgehouse's gear list:Bridgehouse's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8
Fujifilm X-A2 Nikon Z7 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
NCB
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow