Poor a6500 IBIS on adapted lens

Started 2 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Paul Goelz Forum Member • Posts: 65
Poor a6500 IBIS on adapted lens

I purchased a Minolta 100mm f2.8 macro and LA-EA1 adapter as an alternative to the Sony 90mm macro. After a lot of failed real world test shots, I have discovered a puzzling issue.

With this lens, the a6500 IBIS works fine on distant targets. But closer than maybe 3 feet, it starts to degrade and at one foot it is nearly non-existent. This of course makes 100mm lens useless for hand held macro. At one foot, I was not able to get ANY shots that did not have noticeable camera movement.

According to the EXIF data, the camera is correctly reading the focal length of the Minolta (it cals it a "100mm macro"), so this would not seem to be an issue of the camera not knowing what the F/L is.

This does not seem to be simple geometry.... the stabilization actually stops. When the stabilization is active and locked on to a distant object, small amounts of camera movement have little effect on the image. With larger amounts of movement, you can easily see the point where the stabilization gives up and the image starts to move. When focused close, there is no amount of camera movement that produces a reduced amount of image shift. Stabilization has a very small damping effect but the image shift is linearly related to camera movement. Very different than on distant targets.

Yes, I could just use a tripod. But that is not always practical for what I shoot. And using my 18-135 on macro rings and set to 100mm, I don't have to.... stabilization works great at any distance.

Does anyone have any insight? Why would the distance to the target have any impact on stabilization? I don't think this lens (the original metal version) has a distance encoder. And even if it does, the stabilization degrades on close targets even if the lens is left focused at (say) 10 feet where stabilization works OK. Conversely, it resumes if left focused on a close target but pointed at a small bright object at 10 feet.

Paul

Paul Goelz's gear list:Paul Goelz's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6500
Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow