Linux environment quite "nerdy" for photographers

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DMillier Forum Pro • Posts: 21,283
Linux environment quite "nerdy" for photographers

I've been running experimental Linux installs for years with the long term intention of moving to open source and getting away from windows/Adobe.

I don't think I can make that leap yet, but I am experimenting at maintaining a dual boot environment with Darktable under Linux for all new images and Lightroom/Win 7 for my current photos.

The release candidate for Darktable 3 brings some useful refinement to the UI graphics and as I learn more about Darktable, more and more of my LR functionality/convenience habits seem replaceable.

But...

Linux/Darktable environments seem deliberately inconvenient!  Wherever possible, devs seem to relish making the simplest configuration/setup steps as obscure and incomprehensible as humanly possible.  Like adding icc custom printer profiles to the print module. Easy enough when you know how, but actually figuring out what to do requires so much effort. Or the Darktable editing modules themselves: insanely powerful but so many controls and options....  It is clear that when Adobe designed LR, they walked a careful line between capability and simplicity. LR is a powerful package but most of its basic functions are fairly obvious. Move sliders around to see what you get. DT on the other hand is overloaded with so many controls that is a difficult learning curve.

The latest version supposedly allows you to customise what appears under the various development tabs, which should help:  users ought to be able to set up the program to use only the modules they need and to put them where they feel most comfortable.

If only I had the faintest idea how to do this....

-- hide signature --
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow