Why IBIS only on XH1?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MarkMyWords Junior Member • Posts: 46
Why IBIS only on XH1?

You can have zooms with stabilisation, or primes with fast apertures, but generally not both.

XH1 IBIS is "up to 5.5 stops", which in terms of hand-holding turns an f/1.4 lens into an f/0.2! Or 1/30 shutter down to 1".

Of course, shallow DOF, bokeh and subject motion freeze rely on fast aperture. But what about when you want to stop down for deeper DOF, peak sharpness, or to not carry fast, heavy glass or (groan) a tripod?

Sure, IBIS has some weight/power/cost penalty. But in crop sensor for example, Sony A6500 and Ricoh GR III have managed it.

Is IBIS just the current "holy grail"/fad? I hope not:

"For example, last year when I went to Cuba, I lugged a tripod everywhere, because I wasn’t sure when it would be needed. In 90°F weather, wearing a backpack to have my hands free of it, I was more uncomfortable than I needed to be. Although just 5lbs, it felt like 50lbs in those conditions. I also had to keep track of it; find a place in the car, in restaurants, in my room… I was always worrying about leaving it behind or hitting someone with it. This February was different. I took a small tripod to Cuba, but only for a few night shoots that were planned. The rest of the time, it stayed in my room. I was able to walk all over Havana, at all times of day, with just a camera and lens. The experience made the photography even more gratifying, because I was able to focus on my work instead of where my gear had gone. This amazing handheld freedom has opened up endless photographic possibilities. Check out the gallery of images at the end of this article to see just what the X-H1’s IBIS is capable of."

https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/stories/denise-silva-discovers-the-magic-of-ibis-with-the-x-h1/

"My conclusion of IBIS on the X-H1? It’s fantastic. For a videographer it’s a dream to have stabilization natively on the Fujifilm X Series system or using adapted lenses. I was easily shooting hand held b-roll (60fps @ 1/60th sec shutter speed) with the XF50mmF2. For a stills photographer, I did not find that it improved my ‘normal’ photography, but it did change the way I saw shutter speeds and how I perceived motion with subjects. Without the need for a tripod, I could attempt to take certain types of images in situations where a tripod would be impossible to set up. Instead of improving my photography, the X-H1 allowed me to explore different types of photography that I would have never attempted with any other Fujifilm X Series camera body. The X-T2 is a very competent camera and I would not recommend the average stills photographer to upgrade if they think that by doing so their photography will see a dramatic improvement. However, if you want an extra trick up your sleeve, if you want to experiment with motion blur, or attempt low light hand held photography in situations where carrying around a tripod is impossible or inconvenient, then I say the X-H1 might be just what you’re looking for. Thanks for reading and happy shooting."

https://fujilove.com/the-fujifilm-x-h1-does-ibis-improve-your-photography/

Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T2 Ricoh GR III Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow