Final verdict on Samyang 45 MM and 85 mm lens options for sony

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Indiglo50 New Member • Posts: 14
Final verdict on Samyang 45 MM and 85 mm lens options for sony

I am thinking of moving to Sony from Pentax, waiting to pull the trigger on a7r3. Two of my most used lenses on Pentax for portraits were 43 mm and 77 mm limited. Trying to understand what might be the best choices in the Sony world.

My priorities are

1. Compact size - loved my limiteds for this

2. Focus speed and accuracy - Need to pass toddler test, I have one

3. Rendering - I prefer character over sharpness. Both of my Pentax limited are not the sharpest lenses but have a beautiful rendering - micro-contrast, pop, etc.

Following are my shortlist and observations

Samyang 45: Images have a character. Bokeh appears to be a bit busy - it reminds me of my 43 mm. But it got a lot of bad rep for focus speed and accuracy. Is it still an issue or the firmware upgrades have fixed it

Sony 55 1.8: A lot of good reviews. Excellent optical quality - but ~1k for a 55 mm 1.8. It seems a bit crazy.

Sony 85 1.8: I rented and loved it. Silent, fast and accurate focus. Images are sharp - I am not blown away with the looks of the image, but it looks like a workhorse

Samyang 1.4: All other lenses meet my compactness criteria, except maybe this one. I have also seen some of the reviews claiming that it has a better focus than sony 85mm. How do current users feel?

Any help in decision making is highly appreciated

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow