Controlling Real Time AF Tracking A9

Started 3 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
paul wassermann Senior Member • Posts: 1,306
Controlling Real Time AF Tracking A9

I have been struggling with the new tracking feature.  Perhaps someone here can guide me to a better technique?

I have the screen enabled so that touching starts tracking (little white box visible in both lcd and finder)  I use small center tracking area as focus spot.  I disable tracking by pressing the center button of the wheel.

Everything works fine until I want to select a different target to track.  I have found the compromise is to hold my hand over the front of the lens which undoes the current tracking, then put target in center small af box and half press.  The other option is to "cancel tracking" with wheel button, then touch screen selecting target (which is hard to do with chubby fingers).

Is there a work around or better technique to control the selection of the tracking target?  What would be ideal for me would be to put the camera to my eye, get the target in the center spot, half press the shutter button and have the camera track the object with finger removed.

paul wassermann's gear list:paul wassermann's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a6400 Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +8 more
Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow