I want to buy the 24-70 f4 S but sample images look bad to me

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TheWintermute Junior Member • Posts: 37
I want to buy the 24-70 f4 S but sample images look bad to me

Hi guys.

First of all I want to say that I don’t want to start any arguments here and I’m not trying to hurt anyone’s feelings. Let’s not insult each other here. After all, cameras are just inanimate objects, just tools.

I absolutely love Nikon cameras and lenses. I’ve been using Nikon cameras for almost 15 years now. I really like image quality of most Nikon lenses - even the budget ones.

I really want to like the 24-70mm f4 s because it is affordable, compact and would compliment my Z6 beautifully. It doesn’t even have to have spectacular image quality - all I want is decent pictures.

However,  when I look at images taken with this lens on the web the images look just terrible to me - worse than any Nikon lens I’ve seen so far. Yes, they are very sharp, yes the aberrations are well controlled but the thing is everything looks completely flat on those images. People look like cardboard cutouts stuck to the background. Very often people even look like they were photoshopped into the picture. The boundaries between the objects on the foreground and the background just look very weird - like sharp lines as though someone drew a contour around them with a pencil. Often everything in the picture looks like it’s on the same focal plane.

Does anyone else see this or is there something wrong with my eyes?

May be the optics themselves have nothing to so with this and this is just some weird digital processing that the camera does with this lens specifically? May be there is a setting in camera that needs to be disabled to eliminate this effect?

Images from other Z lenses look spectacular - especially the 50mm and the 24-70 2.8.

Again, guys, I REALLY REALLY WANT TO LIKE THIS LENS. It’s just that the images don’t look good to me.

Cheers

Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow