Using my XT3 to convert negatives to digital?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
John356 Regular Member • Posts: 162
Re: Using my XT3 to convert negatives to digital?

TrophyJem wrote:

Hi All,

I have a large collection of negatives from the late 1970s and I'd like to convert some of them to digital.

I'm assuming my XT3 should be capable of taking the shot with it on a tripod and using some sort of back-light for the negative.

I have the 18-55, 55-200 and 100-400 lenses available and I really don't want to buy a new lens just for this purpose.

Have any of you good people done such a conversion using your Fuji camera? What setup did you use?

I'm guessing I'll need some sort of macro extension tube to get the focus distance right?

I'm trying to keep cost to a minimum, else its probably just as cheap to send the negatives off somewhere to be converted.

All ideas / suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

I had quite a few negs from when I was living in Asia in the 80’s and looked at scanning myself, using a camera as you are contemplating or have a service do it - ended up with the latter and result was good considering condition of negs. One, I think American, site had a stock answer when people asked them how long would it take to DIY scan / photo x thousand strips themselves “You retired too late”......

-- hide signature --

John

John356's gear list:John356's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow