Sony's come a long way

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 8,136
Re: Sony's come a long way

The digital still camera division has definitely come a long way. It's interesting that they were manufacturing DSLR sensors quite a while before they got into making their own large-sensor cameras.

The 2002 Nikon D100 had a Sony APS-C 6.1MP CCD (I think that's pretty much the same sensor that's in my 2004 Konica Minolta 7D), but, AFAIK, it wasn't until 2005 when Sony first released an APS-C camera of their own (the R1).

Of course, things picked up quickly after they acquired the camera business of Konica Minolta.

My first digital was a 3.3MP Sony DSC-S70 with a 1/1.8" sensor. I bought it new in 1999 or so for about $700. Looks like I could get a used one now for about a penny on the dollar. I remember being overwhelmed by the ridiculously huge size of those 3.3MP images.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Nikon D200 +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow