Party lens

Started 1 week ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Shinyschnapper
Shinyschnapper Forum Member • Posts: 68
Party lens

So I am attending my step daughters wedding next November. They have booked a wedding photography pro to photograph their day. I am an enthusiast and I am wanting (without getting in the Pro’s way) to take my own pictures in more of a documentary style. I have an XT2 with a couple of lenses. I will stress this will only be for my own enjoyment and I am not being paid in any way but if I can give them a nice couple of pictures all the better.

My question is do I need a lens for low light photography. I can use my 18-55 with a speedlight but I was wanting to carry around a lighter bag than that. I have the 27mm f2.8 but I think I will need more low light performance for the afternoon meal and evening party. I can’t visit the hotel in advance so I don’t know what I am dealing with lighting wise as its at the other end of the country and the website doesn’t have so many pictures on.

In the church I will sitting at the front so I won’t be doing any photography.

The afternoon meal which while indoors it will still be daylight so might be okay for my current lenses especially with image stabilisation on the lenses.

The evening function will be quite dark I would imagine, and I would prefer not to use flash too much. Do I need a lens with more light gathering ability. Obviously the main contender is the 16mm f1.4 or would the 23mm be better. Or would I be better just hiring one rather than buying one or is there even another option in a third party lens with an open aperture. Whichever I land up getting I would keep as something with that much light gathering would be useful for other things as well.

I’ve not really done much event/party style photography so I’m a bit stuck. I can practice a bit before the event as its my wifes 60th in May but I would rather have the lens by then.

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X-T2
Fujifilm XF 10-24, Fujifilm XF 18-55, Fujifilm XF 27, Fujifilm XF 55-200, Fujifilm XF 60
Hellios 44m-4, Industar 50-2, Pentacon 50 1.8

Shinyschnapper's gear list:Shinyschnapper's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow