Re 18-55, poor group shots

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
roberthd12 Regular Member • Posts: 443
Re 18-55, poor group shots

Thanks for any feedback. I recently morphed from an all-Olympus world to Fuji. I am getting sensational natural light and environmental photos from my various lenses, but I have some work projects that are letting me down.

The problem? I cannot get a crisp, sharply focused OOC group photo with the XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 R LM OIS lens. In the photo I am providing, zoom into the eyes and faces. Just not the sharpness I would get with my previous Oly 2.8 12-40. And, the resolution just seems poor.

Over the past few weeks, I have tried all auto for these types of photos, but that is often worse––the aperture seems to mostly default to 2.8 and my DOF is minimal. I have tried shutter priority, aperture priority, fast shutter speeds, slower shutter speeds, etc. I can only get sharp, decent resolution shots in bright outdoor light. I have tried overexposing the flash multiple stops to see if extra light can help, but these indoor shots are still always poor.

I’ve tried pre-focus single point, and also letting the camera decide via face detection. Nothing seems to get me the crisp shots of this type I am used to. And, I have shot hundreds of these over the last few years, but my skills are apparently going downhill.

I can fix it somewhat via Capture One and the raw file, but I expect better from OOC shots. As I said before, I don’t think I never had this problem with the Oly 2.8 zoom. Resolution problem? Lighting problem? USER ERROR???

Thanks for any feedback.

-- hide signature --
 roberthd12's gear list:roberthd12's gear list
Fujifilm XF10 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II +16 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow