A7Riv - new camera, focus problems

Started 4 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MattPointZero
MattPointZero Senior Member • Posts: 1,041
A7Riv - new camera, focus problems

I just bought the A7Riv despite murmerings of focus issues, and have just used it on a shoot - and next to nothing gets critical focus (I'm exaggerating, but no better than 50%)

I shoot with this and a GFX50S with no ibis, and the GFX50s is tack sharp - the sony is fuzzy and bad.  I have attached examples in the hope someone can tell me if this is motion blur or give me pointers I can use.  I have had sony R cameras all the way through the generations and have never had an issue like this - does my camera have to go back, or am I doing something wrong - these were shot with a mix of tracking spot and spot focus, and I 'think' (though I'll check now I am typing it) with EFCS

I love sony cameras, this is massively disappointing on first use unless I am missing something...

Not edited or great shots, just full size jpegs from the RAW to illustrate

crop here

Here is one where it seemed to lock, so it CAN focus...crop -

By comparison, here is the GFX50S (which I know will give a better image anyway, but just for focus comparison

Help!

MattPointZero's gear list:MattPointZero's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a7R IV Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 Fujifilm GF 45mm F2.8 +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow