Need advice on lenses to bring (leaving tomorrow) (D500/Z6)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MiaBanks Junior Member • Posts: 26
Need advice on lenses to bring (leaving tomorrow) (D500/Z6)

I am leaving for Tanzania for a safari tomorrow (Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater) and thought maybe I could get some other opinions on what lenses to bring.

I am bringing my D500 and I think I have decided to bring my son's Z6 with lens mount adaptor (I plan to do most of my shooting with the D500 but was thinking I needed a backup camera?  so I told my son I was going to bring my old D5300 and he thinks I should bring his Z6).

Other notes:  I will be the primary photographer (husband has decided he does not want to take photos); my favorite things to shoot are the big animals, cats, flying birds (I am less of a landscape person); I will not be bringing a tripod or flash.

Which lenses would you bring? these are my options:

80-400 f/4.5-5.6

70-200 f/2.8

16-80 f/2.8 DX

50mm prime

Should I just put the 80-400 on the D500 and the 50mm prime on the Z6 and leave the others?  I LOVE my 70-200 but it's heavy. And the 16-80 is a DX lens so not great on the Z6. (Do I need a backup camera at all?)

Any thoughts/opinions? I realize I am asking this at the last minute. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

MiaBanks's gear list:MiaBanks's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR
Nikon D500 Nikon D5300 Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow