Current opinion on 35f1.4 (vs 35f2)?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Al Downie Senior Member • Posts: 1,393
Current opinion on 35f1.4 (vs 35f2)?

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend some good galleries of images from the 35mm f1.4? I used to rely on Flickr Groups, but they're all but useless now because a small number of people upload such a huge amount of garbage. I'd be grateful for any pointers to well-curated galleries!

Also, I've been reading reviews of the 35/1.4, and the 35/1.4 vs 35/2, but mostly they've been written some time ago, and discussions almost always become bunfights between those who criticise the f1.4, and those who proclaim those criticisms to be the result of 'bad samples'. Like most lenses, the 1.4 has devout disciples, and nay-sayers, and it's difficult to find anything balanced and objective, that's up-to-date with current firmware performance. If you know of any good resources, I'd be grateful for a heads-up.

Background - I was a super-enthusiastic Canon 50L shooter, but swapped it all for an X-Pro2 and a bunch of good Fuji glass. But at the time, the 35/2 was all the rage, and I bought that instead of the 1.4. And since then, I haven't taken many photos at all. I'd like to get back to the simplicity of a single body and single lens, but I don't know if I should give the 1.4 a go, or trade everything in for a different system. I'm even considering a Leica M10 with a Summilux. Agh!

Thanks for any opinions/advice.

Al

-- hide signature --
 Al Downie's gear list:Al Downie's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R APD XF 90mm Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +1 more
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Leica M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow