Full frame vs iPhone 11 Pro

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Thomas A Anderson Regular Member • Posts: 211
Re: Photography, my unvarnished opinion.

coso dp wrote:

Thomas A Anderson wrote:

the rest of us are wasting our money.

This is what I think of myself. I always chased the full frame look, good lenses and such, because dslrs was the only way I could achieve that look. But now, for the first time, a phone is getting real close to the real deal.

Of course phone cameras are still vastly inferior to a real camera, but the point is, does it matter?

Nothing matters...until and unless it does.  I have yet to see a phone that is a fast and flexible photographic tool.

Who really prints "big"? An iPhone picture watched on the phone or on a 4K monitor is perfectly fine, unless you go pixel peeping (which no one need to do). You can also edit the picture on the fly on your phone.

As I’ve told others, you are welcome to your low standards.

I'm not saying anyone is wasting money, for professional work of course a real camera will always be needed for years to come. But there are some amateur photographers that should really question if keep buying bodies and lenses is worth it.

Of course.  However, “worth” is absolutely subjective and nebulous in its complexity.

Do they get enough fun out of it? Do they have thousand of dollars to spend?

The answer might be yes, the answer might be not, but I think it's a reflection each one needs to make now, after the tech in the iPhone 11 Pro and probably the phones in the next few years is finally available.

My problem is the trend towards convincing novices that phones are “good” when compared to real cameras.  They aren’t.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow