What is Canon's equivalent to Panasonic's LX100?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Bill Faulding Forum Member • Posts: 73
Re: What is Canon's equivalent to Panasonic's LX100?

For me, the best equivalent is the G5X MkII.

Alongside owning premium SLRs (currently a Canon 5D IV) I have always had a pocket sized camera. I had the LX3, LX5, LX7 and LX100. I loved the LX100 but my gripes with it were:

Greenish colour cast to images
Annoying lens cap
Lack of reach
Ease of focusing
Shortage of pixels

The GX5 fixes all of these ...

Canon colours - vibrant but still natural - superb
Integrated lens cover
120mm (equiv) zoom
Superb focusing

I tend to point it at stationary subjects. I look through the viewfinder and if the camera does not automatically select the bits I want to focus on, I just slide my thumb around on the screen and select a focus point, which the camera then tracks if i recompose - absolutely brilliant.

Also ...

It's smaller
It doesn't blow out the highlights and give you white skies instead of blue
Excellent touch screen
Logical Canon menu system

Lens is not quite as fast but it's very good.

Last week I took the same shot of a stately home with the G5XII and my 5D MkIV with a 16-35mm "L" lens and on the screen they were indistinguishable. Printed on A4 they are indistinguishable. If you pixel-peep you can see the superior sharpness of the SLR but why bother.
Highly recommended as the perfect replacement for an LX100.

See images attached. #12 with the G5, #13 with the 5DiV. These are downloads of uploads to Google photos, so they have been compressed automatically ...

G5X Mk II f/5.6 ISO125

5D MkIV 16-35mm "L" f/7.1 ISO100

Bill Faulding's gear list:Bill Faulding's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow