Advice on what camera & lens to buy please

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Paul B - UK Regular Member • Posts: 332
Advice on what camera & lens to buy please

I'm just an amateur photographer. After owning some APS-C cameras I've become a bit disappointed with the image quality when i compare the images to the more expensive cameras such as the full frames. This is despite me keeping the ISO's low, using good exposure, off camera flash, lighting etc.

Most of my photos will be candid spur of the moment photos of my daughter indoors & in low light (flash mostly), although with her being a talented runner it would be good to be able to take some action shots of her doing her training. I’d prioritize the former over the latter though because at the moment I can only afford one lens. Things that are most important in order of importance are image quality (partly dynamic range), low light performance (hence the wider aperture lens choice below), lens quality, auto focus speed and accuracy (especially in low light), portability.

This is my narrowed list of camera/lens candidates (APS-C & Full frame):

Canon 800D (APS-C) or Canon 77D (APS-C) + Tamron 35-150 f/2.8-4 VC (Full Frame Lens)

Sony A6400 (APS-C) + Sony 50mm f/1.8 prime (APS-C Lens)

Sony A6400 (APS-C) + Sony 16-70 f/4 OSS (APS-C Lens)

Sony A6500 with IBIS (APS-C) + Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 (Full Frame Lens)

Nikon D750 (Full Frame) + Tamron 35-150 f/2.8-4 VC (Full Frame Lens)

Nikon D750 (Full Frame) + Nikon 24-120mm f/4G ED VR (Full Frame Lens)

Nikon D750 (Full Frame) + Tamron SP 85mm f/1.8 Di VC USD (Full Frame Lens)

Sony a7iii (Full Frame) + Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 (Full Frame Lens)

Sony a7iii (Full Frame) + 85mm f/1.8 prime (Full Frame Lens)

Nikon Z6 (Full Frame) + Z 85mm f/1.8 prime (Full Frame Lens)

Nikon Z6 (Full Frame) + Z 24-70 f/4 (Full Frame Lens) < only because the kit combo is very cheap together

Nikon Z6 (Full Frame) with FTZ adapter + Tamron 35-150 f/2.8-4 VC (Full Frame Lens)

I will have to buy some of gear on credit and so expense also comes into play a bit.

Thanks for any advice.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow