A9 Feels like cheating

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Zefah Regular Member • Posts: 399
Re: A9 Feels like cheating

reflux83 wrote:

I recently acquired a used A9 from LensAuthority. I shoot mainly events. I purchased it to replace my a7III as main camera. I recently shot a gala with it coupled with the 24-70GM. They eye/face detect was so quick that it took longer for the subjects to get together than it takes for me to take a few shots. I am not used to this speed, especially coming from the a7III. Honestly it's a joy to shoot with, it was able to adapt quickly to the variety of lighting conditions I threw at it.

Honestly as great as the a7iii is Using the the a9 and a7iii together the a7iii feels frustrating in comparison. The a7iii AF is nowhere near as quick or accurate when using face/eye detect af.

If the a9 is this good i am having a hard time imagining the AF improvements made in the a9ii.

The a9ii AF improvements are very subtle. Just some improvements in consistency and "confidence," especially with subject tracking.

The a9 was already best-in-class, and, like you said, often feels like cheating. I got the original a9 back in November of 2016 and it felt that way to me even then, but the firmware 6.0 really cemented it.

Zefah's gear list:Zefah's gear list
Sony a9 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow