I love the optics but find AF very inconsistent on the 6D

Started Nov 5, 2019 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
47872Mike Regular Member • Posts: 210
I love the optics but find AF very inconsistent on the 6D

Not much more to add, really. I have used each incarnation of Canon 50/1.8. The optics are great on full frame and fairly good on 1.6 crop.
The first version had a loud AF motor but mine worked well.
The second version was made like a toy and mine had equally great optics, but the mechanical build was so sloppy that AF was not reliable due to play in the mechanism. 
I thought the STM version would solve AF, but it doesn't on my 6D. In good light it works accurately. In low light where I am often wanting to use this lens, it will focus inconsistently. If I take three shots, they will all be focused on a different spot. if I'm lucky, one will be focused where I pointed the AF sensor. You can tell whether or not it is going to focus correctly because when it's playing up, you can hear it re-focusing when you haven't moved the camera and the subject hasn't moved.
I tried it on an old 10D and it seemed a bit less prone to inconsistent AF.
As our American friends say, "Go figure"....

The build is better than the second toy version but still not as good as the 40/2.8. I don't understand why it cannot focus consistently in low light, but it's making me want to try another Mk1.  
General note on the optics (full frame):

Good contrast in the image centre right from f1.8. Gradual improvement to a peak at about f8, but for most practical purposes, very good from 2.8 and outstanding by f4. Resolution is great. 
This version has extra aperture blades (no pentagonal bokeh when stopped down, like you get on the other two versions) and focuses slightly closer.

47872Mike's gear list:47872Mike's gear list
Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 50D Sony SLT-A37 Canon EOS 6D +13 more
Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM
Prime lens • Canon EF • 0570C002
Announced: May 11, 2015
47872Mike's score
Average community score
Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow