Z6 Video

Started Nov 4, 2019 | Discussions thread
beatboxa Senior Member • Posts: 7,299
Picture Controls

Andrew Ellis wrote:

HI all, I have quite recently got more and more into video, and am in the process of getting better with Davinci Resolve my NLE editor which I like quite a lot.

I currently use either my Olympus EM1 MK II (with a good selection of lenses) for most of the video, but recently on a 5 day city break took just my Nikon Z6 with the 24-70 F4, 14-30 F4 and the 50mm F1.8 (all Z lenses).

Whilst the video was OK (for a first attempt), if i'm being honest I prefer the colours and output from the Olympus camera more. I'm pretty sure most of this was down to the wrong selection of picture profile on the Z6 (I used "standard"), which on the bright sunny days we had, gave me a really contrasty image, with extremely crushed shadows.

I was considering (possibly) getting a Panasonic GH5 (as they can be had fairly cheaply 2nd hand), but (for the time being at least), would rather stick with the Z6 and see if I can improve it.

I don't have (nor at this time really want) an external monitor like a Atomos Ninja to get 10 bit so ideally would really like to stick with the equipment I currently have, and would rather not have to bother with N-Log and using LUT's in Davinci (at present at least until I have learned more). The video's I'm making are for personal and family use only, not commercial, so would really like to get going with the Z6 so far as I can until I maybe hit a brick wall technically, before considering another body.

So that being said, can anyone give me some nice tips and tricks for getting the most out of the Z6 (video wise) without having to purchase any additional equipment (or at least not spending very much).

In addition to the lenses mentioned, I also have the Z 35mm F1.8 and the 70-300 AF-P via the FTZ adapter (the FX version). I have a cheap video light and a Comica CVM-VM10II microphone that I purchased for the Olympus body, but that I believe does also work on the Z6 as well.

Any tips and hints greatly appreciated.

I've done a lot of posts on this topic. Here are a few you may find useful (and there are others within the same threads):

You can get some great video directly from the camera, using what I've written in these posts.

To summarize:

• Download the free Nikon Picture Control 2 software
  • Create custom picture controls.  You can use mine if you want, or use a raw image you have to create your own.
  • Upload it to the camera and use.  It will be very close to final, or you can use as is.
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow