Yet another thread about scanning slides

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
PK24X36NOW Senior Member • Posts: 2,000
Re: Yet another thread about scanning slides

D Cox wrote:

Rmark wrote:

I have an Epson V550 scanner and have been scanning 35mm negative strips, very slow process!.

I have heard you can use a macro lens to photograph 35 mm slides, which is better for maximum quality?. It appears it would be quicker than using the scanner.

Using a camera is about ten times as fast as using a scanner. I recommend it for slides and for B&W negatives.

A scanner is better for colour negatives, because the scanner software can convert the colours of the negative to something usable. Doing this manually in software is tiresome.

Actually it can be pretty quick in software. The trick is to take a piece of the negative film that was developed but had no image on it (the labs generally gave you the "extra" or "end" pieces, perhaps to avoid someone claiming they didn't return all of their photos).

You then use your camera's ability to set up a "custom" white balance, and, using whatever setup for digitizing with your camera, fill your frame with the developed but blank negative and "shoot" it as your custom white balance. You then use that stored "custom" white balance when digitizing your negatives. You'll then find the "correct" colors much easier to achieve when you invert the negatives in your software.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow