What might work best for me...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP McSpin Contributing Member • Posts: 504
Re: What might work best for me...

kypfer wrote:

McSpin wrote:

If I switch to a small sensor camera - like a 1" sensor, I'll triple the depth of field at a given camera setting and the same focal length. Therefore, I can use a lower ISO to achieve the noise level I'm looking for.

Nope ... "duff science" I'm afraid.

Acceptable depth-of-field varies with sensor size.

If I take a "full-frame" lens and mount it on my APS-C (effectively half-frame) camera, the depth-of-field markings on the lens become "one stop out", that is to say, if I want "f/8 depth of field", as marked on the lens, I need to set the aperture to f/11.

As for photographing fish in a tank, I've done some in the past and don't remember any problems with flash disturbing the fish, though I do remember having to "try and try again" to get a result with no unwanted reflections. This was in the days of film, with no immediate gratification of instant preview, having to wait to get the film processed before I was sure I'd achieved what was wanted I have vague recollections of diffused flashguns on extension cables, but can't remember the details

When I compare photos, I want the same field of view. On a full frame, f/8 has a shallower depth of field as a crop sensor at the same field of view and depth of field.  That means that on the crop sensor I can go to f/5.6 and a lower ISO to reduce noise. On a 1" sensor, it would be closer to 2 stops.  On the other hand, the larger sensor gives me less noise at a given aperture.  It seems like the advantage of each cancel each other out, but without using a good 1" sensor camera, I'm guessing.

Using a flash is challenging because although it doesn't frighten this fish to an extreme, the images don't look realistically when the light is being bounce off the front of the fish (very reflective scales) vs coming from above, like it would from aquarium lights. I've experimented with this for years  with tens of thousands of images and the best ones are with light from above that is bright enough. It's getting it bright enough without freaking out the fish that is the challenge.  Part of that is because the aquariums are kept on the darker side on purpose.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow