Have I lost my marbels? Zeiss Milvus & Otus Lens considerations

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
whimsicalmike
whimsicalmike Contributing Member • Posts: 724
Re: Have I lost my marbels? Zeiss Milvus & Otus Lens considerations

charley5 wrote:

CAT Productions wrote:

Well, take a look at this:

Sigma 40 1.4 Art (F, EF mount): 1200 g (2.65 lb)

Sigma 105 1.4 Art (F, EF mount): 1645 g (3.63 lb)

Sigma 135 1.8 Art (F, EF mount): 1130 g (2.49 lb)

If lightweight is a requirement, look elsewhere, lol. But, as already mentioned, those above 3 have really incredible optical quality. I have other, much lighter lenses if/when I do more casual shooting.

Wow. My mistake! How do people use these as travel lenses???

I had the same dilemma, heavy camera for trekking up mountains to photograph waterfalls and temples in Asia. I wanted to stay FF but reduce weight and volume for aircraft carryon, I travel light with only a 7Kg carry on backpack. I have Nikon FF and crop DSLR's and a few lenses so it was natural, I suppose, for me to lean towards the Nikon mirrorless. Not withstanding that apparent bias I ended up with the Z lenses as they certainly perform better than thier DSLR counterparts, hence my earlier comment about them competing with the Otus. I now have the 14-30, 24-70f4, the 50 and 80 primes. They are a lot lighter and more compact than the old stuff. I find the system a huge step up for travel. I predominantly take architecture, landscape and portraits, i think similar to your needs. The only downside is you need a new body but you did talk about a new canon so your expecting that as well. I dismissed the canon gear as their lenses to date are big and heavy, I am sure they will eventually get around to the slower lenses but that is not now and i think their mirrorless bodies are a bit of a letdown as well so an easy decision for me.

Hope u work it out eventually

whimsicalmike's gear list:whimsicalmike's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
kwe
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow